How to Have Peace While the Wolves Are Circling

The Lord is my Shepherd . . . Psalm 23:1


How to Have Peace While the Wolves Are Circling

Before we can relate to God as our shepherd, we must think of ourselves as foolish sheep—dependent and prone to wander off.

God brought David back into the fold more than once. We can sense why he relates to the Lord as a shepherd. 

In his other psalms, David speaks of God in distant terms, like “King” and “Deliverer” or in impersonal terms like a “rock” or “shield.” But in the 23rd Psalm, he gets personal. 

No one else in the Bible uses a more intimate analogy, referring to God as my shepherd. He attends to me in a personal way.

David spent lonely years watching over his father’s flock with a fierce club and a gentle rod. He knew that because sheep are defenseless, a shepherd lives with his flock. A shepherd is everything to the flock. That’s how God was to him.




David says his Shepherd leads him to rest in green pastures, but he knows sheep meet dangers along the way. There are valleys and whole seasons where the shadows close in. 

Many believe David penned this psalm fleeing for his life from his son, Absolom, as he attempted to overthrow David’s kingdom. This is a poem written by a man well-versed in pain.

David wrote, “He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.” But as soon as he writes, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death . . .” the verse changes.

In his crisis, something deep happens between him and God. Now his tone becomes personal—David says, “YOU are with me.” 

Pastor Lloyd Stilley*, writes on lifeway.com, “David changes from comments about God to communion with God. We’re more prone to talk about God when we are in the green pastures and more prone to talk to God when we’re in the dangerous ravine. In the light, we are prone to wander off . . . But in the dark, we hug his knees.”

In the dark, the sheep can’t see their shepherd. They must listen for his harp and his love songs that gently guide them along the precipice. 

The crescendo of the psalm is this: David fears no evil. He paints a picture of peace in the dark while wolves are circling. 





It’s the presence of the Shepherd that brings peace in the midst of chaos. He provides goodness and bounty in the midst of evil brewing in the background. 

Imagine the heights we could reach if we stop listening to the voice of fear, and instead listen for the voice of our Shepherd.

*Senior pastor, First Baptist Church, Gulf Shores, AL



Jesus’ Message:

Like sheep, you are apt to wander, unable to return, and defenseless. You are sometimes foolish and easily distracted. But I am here. Do not worry. You are mine. 

I am your Shepherd, but my presence doesn’t eliminate evil. It eliminates the fear of evil. Remembering that I walk with you breaks the heavy chains of fear wrapped around your feet—chains that impede your progress, sap your strength, and drain the color from your whole world.

Life’s storms may scream through, threatening to drown out your Shepherd’s voice, but if you listen closely, I am always singing courage into your heart. 

Child, I saw you on your knees today. You were so numb you couldn’t even pray. You just poured out our heart to me asking for help. Saying you cannot go on like this. 




You may be in a dark valley, but I am always present. I know all about the injustices, the it’s-not-fair chorus you sing to yourself daily, the negative thoughts that have plowed deep ruts into the mire in your mind.  


When I was on earth, I showed compassion to everyone who drew near. You drew near today asking to feel your Shepherd’s presence. You are so precious to Me. Do not doubt My finger is still on the pulse of your life. I know the terrain. I am the Calm. I am the Peace Be Still.

Comments